So, I decided I wanted to create my own cookie recipe. I've always loved oatmeal cookies, especially with chocolate chips. I also have a passion for pecans, and decided they would be a nice complement to an already delicious cookie.
I took some tips from this blog on how to create your own recipe. I've always wondered how you know how much of what to put in. Her tips definitely gave me a foundation to start on.
These cookies were delicious. They were exactly what I wanted. Luckily I had to go to work shortly after baking them or I probably would have eaten too many.
Spiced Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped or lightly broken pecans
- 1 heaping cup old fashioned oats
- Sometimes I add 1/2 cup of nutella for extra deliciousness, but I didn't here
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the two types of flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugars until nice and fluffy
- Mix in one egg at a time, mixing well between each addition
- Mix in the vanilla
- Slowly mix in the flour mixture until just combined
- Then, using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips, pecans, and oats (and nutella if you decided to use it) until evenly mixed
- Scoop mixture onto an ungreased cookie sheet, or one lined with parchment paper
- Bake cookies for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown around the edges. I rotated my pan after 10 minutes to make sure they all baked evenly.
- If you used parchment paper, pull it off and let cookies cool on a cooling rack. If you didn’t use any parchment paper, let cookie sheet rest on cooling rack for 2-3 minutes before removing cookies. Allow the ones not already eaten to cool completely before packaging for storage.
They came out nice and chewy, but not too flat. I'm very pleased!
Nutrition Information based on calculations from MyFitnessPal
Serving size: 1 cookie